Sunday, March 5, 2017

Shortest (ever!) Guide to Weight-loss

My Name's Edmund Khong and I am 36. My profile: www.captaindazzle.com

Here's me in 2014; at my heaviest at 95 Kg, attending the World Clown Convention:




This is me, today:

It took me 6 months to lose my first 20 Kg. From 94 Kg to 74 Kg. I currently hold a Personal Trainer Certification from the American Council on Exercise.

I've also helped my wife lose 12 Kg. I am currently at around 68 Kg.

My philosophy on weight-loss is very easy to understand:

K.I.S.S. = Keep It Simple + Sustainable.



Let's first talk about the benefits of not carrying excessive, useless weight:
  • Physically and Mentally, You'll feel much stronger. You'll have more endurance, energy and more confidence.
  • You are much less susceptible to sickness and diseases.
  • You'll sleep better

What's there not to like about having an lower body fat percentage?!

"80% of weight-loss is in what you eat and 20% is in what you do (exercise)"

If you eat less calories then what you use on a daily basis, you will lose weight because your body will use the fat reserves. This is known as a caloric-deficit diet. It's not rocket science.

For most Singaporeans, we are consuming too much fat and High G.I. food, resulting in the over-consumption of calories. What is G.I.?

Here: https://www.acefitness.org/acefit/fitness-fact-article/3574/what-is-a-glycemic-index/

I highly recommend using this easy tool from the Health Promotion Board to ensure that you are getting sufficient nutrition: https://www.healthhub.sg/programmes/55/my-healthy-plate

The concept is simple: If your body is getting sufficient nutrients, it won't crave unhealthy foods and thereby reducing the calorie intake.

I'll just highlight 3 key points:
  •     Half the plate to be filled with vegetables and fruits
  •     Ensure you eat sufficient protein
  •     Whole grains > processed carbohydrates (high G.I.) such as white rice, noodles and refined flour.
Lastly, when it comes to food, as a rule of thumb, the less processed the food is, the better it is.

Simple examples:
  •     Real meat > canned luncheon meat/sausages
  •     Real fish > fishballs
  •     Real chicken > chicken nuggets
  •     Full cream milk > low or non-fat milk
------------------------------------------------

 Let's talk about the "20%" now: "Exercise"

The human body is designed to move, work, grow and adapt. The more you do a certain exercise or a movement, your body becomes better and better at it. We do not even need to concentrate or focus to walk, talk or eat. That's because we carry out these actions so often everyday. Our body is a classic "Use it or Lose it!" device.

My advice when it comes to exercise for beginners is very simple:

"Do whatever exercise you like. Just get moving."


Don't buy into the latest exercise fad or buy a gym membership that you may only use once a month.

Everyone should engage in a minimum of 150 minutes of moderate-intensity aerobic physical activity per week.

I highly recommend reading this: https://www.acefitness.org/acefit/fitness-fact-article/3585/how-to-start-an-exercise-program/

Remember: K.I.S.S. = Keep It Simple + Sustainable.

To Conclude:


Consistency will always eventually bring you closer to a healthier weight and a healthier you. If you are losing 1 to 2 pounds a week, you are doing an awesome job!

I wish you all the very best in your weight-loss journey! Health is Wealth!

No comments:

Post a Comment